Last Updated on August 6, 2021 by Danny
If you are looking for a beginner’s drum kit or just need a set for practice, the Yamaha DTX450K is the top model in dtx400 series and could be an excellent option for you. It is an affordable drum set produced by a reliable name in the industry with appealing features that make practice fun and practical at the same time.
Not sure if this is the right drum kit for you? Don’t worry—we’ve written up this in-depth Yamaha DTX450K review to help you decide. Let’s dive in!
Yamaha DTX450K Electronic Drum Kit Review
The Yamaha DTX450k is excellent for home practice, learning to play the drums and even band rehearsals. However, it is not suited for live performances as the sound quality simply isn’t up to par.
This set features five drums and three cymbals. The pads are of the gum-rubber type and give you a springy rebound while suppressing noise. They are sensitive but well-tuned—you won’t see sound triggering if playing the rim for most pads on this kit.
The only drum in the DTX450K that has rim triggering is the snare pad. It is three-zoned with a diameter of 7.5 inches. You can produce more sounds from the snare pad without extra triggering.
Apart from the snare pad, the drum kit comes with a bass drum pad constructed from a combination of plastic, metal, and rubber. It sits upright, allowing you to play it like an acoustic bass drum.
The three cymbals have a 10-inch diameter and are mounted on cymbal arms positioned on the drum rack. The drum rack holds everything apart from the bass drum tower and the hi-hat foot controller. You can place the hi-hat beside the sound module and over the snare, allowing you to make adjustments to the module interface easily.
However, the configuration and wrack design are a bit different than your standard electric drum kit, and that may take some getting used to.
- Responsive gum-rubber pads
- Comprehensive training tools—beginner-friendly
- Durable build quality
- Three-zoned snare
- Kick pad can handle double pedal rigs
- Limited presets
- Drum pads may lose sensitivity over time
- Unusual layout
What’s in the Box?
- Two-post mounting rack
- DTX400 Drum module
- Three-zone snare pad
- Three single-zone tom pads
- Hi-Hat pad and pedal
- Two cymbal-pads
- Kick pad and bass drum pedal
- Power adapter
- All required cables for the pads and cymbals
Expansive Sound Module
The Yamaha DTX450k’s module includes 297 sounds and ten preset drum kits. The preset kits range from percussion to electronic to acoustic, covering the basic musical styles, such as “jazz drumming,” “rock,” and “funk,” to name a few.
You also get the option to replace the presets with your unique configurations. You can play along with ten demo songs. It is possible to further extend the sound range by using the DTX450k electronic drum with a computer or via the MusicSoft app.
When it comes to sound quality, the DTX450K is similar to other drum kits in this price range. However, you can edit the sounds easily.
The module has a drum coaching mode to help you while you are learning. There is a special “Groove Check” feature that monitors how you play. You’ll get real-time feedback on your timing by using this module. It lets you understand if you are playing too fast or too slow, and you can adjust accordingly.
This electronic drum set has a built-in metronome feature for practicing tempo while you are playing. You can also adjust the built-in songs and modify the tempo to improve your drumming skills.
Free Mobile Apps and Convenient Compatibility
The Yamaha DTX450K electronic drum kit sound module can be connected to a laptop or desktop computer through the USB port. If you have recording software on your computer, you can record your performances for music production. However, you need to purchase a USB cable separately as it does not come with the drum kit.
You get access to iOS mobile apps, which let you view drum lessons and start right away. These mobile apps allow you to customize the ten present kits. You can also get new songs and use drum training exercises to improve your skills.
The sound quality is not as good as some high-end electronic drum kits, but the training functions that come with this drum set makes it an attractive choice for beginners. It’s also suitable for those who need a portable, affordable practice set.
This kit is also iPad and iPhone friendly and even includes several iOS training apps, including:
- Yamaha MusicSoft Manager: MusicSoft allows you to transfer and manage songs on your kit via your Apple device. The app offers an extensive song database.
- DTX Drum Lessons: The Drum Lessons app provides detailed play-along videos to help you learn to play on the DTX450k specifically.
- DTX400 Touch: With the DTX400 Touch app, you can customize your kit sounds from any USB-connected Apple device.
- Song Beats: Another app from Yamaha, Song Beats, offers a visual playing guide through MIDI songs. It is an excellent addition to the beginner-friendly, learning aspects of this kit. A total of 25 free MIDI songs are included.
Portability and Customization
The Yamaha DTX450K is lightweight and comes in a single box. It is designed to be easy to set up and transport. The rack itself is foldable, which is convenient as you don’t have to take it apart and put it together each time you want to play. All parts of the drum kit can be adjusted on the rack.
There are two “rack toms” mounted on the rack bar, which you can move to the right or the left. You can also raise the rack bar to a comfortable height. There are two cymbal pads and a clamp for the cymbals to hold them securely.
An L bar connects the snare and the hi-hat to the main rack. The hi-hat is mounted separately. The DTX450K has both a kick drum pad and a bass drum pedal. You also get a high-hat controller, which is a foot pedal. All the above can be positioned as you like and are easy to remove and attach.
A Beginner Friendly Drum Kit
Even if you have never played an electronic drum set before, you will find the Yamaha DTX450K extremely user friendly. It has 10 preset kits covering the basic musical styles, such as “jazz,” “rock,” “percussion,” and “funk,” to name a few. You also get the option to replace the presets with your unique configurations. This drum set is easy to set up and put away as it is lightweight and has a foldable rack.
Easy to Operate
The kit comes with 10 drum training exercises. Playing along with these exercises will teach you how to keep in time, which is a great starting point for a beginner drummer. You also can import songs by hooking up the kit to your computer via the USB port. The drum kit comes with 25 free MIDI songs that will help you learn.
Setting Up the Yamaha DTX450K
If for some reason, your kit didn’t come with complete with instructions, you can find a detailed guide in the instruction manual here. Otherwise, below is a quick set-up guide for the DTX450K.
- Begin by removing the kit from the box and ensuring all parts are present. A few parts come pre-mounted, saving you time and effort during the assembly.
- Use the included tuning key to prepare the base supports and then place them approximately 19 to 20 inches apart.
- Next, attach the vertical supports to each base and tighten them in place with the included key bolts. Lay each support on its side to prevent it from falling over.
- Attach the third tom part, left arm, and drum module.
- Turn each base upright and connect them by attaching the first and second tom parts.
- Attach the snare pad, hi-hat, and cymbal holders. Then place the hi-high in its holder, assemble the cymbal pads, and rotate them into place.
- Assemble the kick pad and position it and the hi-hat controller below the rack. There are stickers on these pedals identifying what each one is. Place them on a carpet or a mat as they may slip on tiled or wooden floors.
- Adjust the positions of the drum pads and module to your liking, and then connect the pads to the drum module.
- Connect the power, and you’re ready to play.
Yamaha DTX450K vs. DTX452K
The Yamaha DTX452K is similar to the DTX450K, with a few differences. The Yamaha DTX452K offers stereo sound sampled from acoustic drums and real cymbals. Since it offers stereo sound, the DTX452K provides better sound in comparison to the DTX450K.
The DTX452K is a newer model, and its kit is sturdier in comparison to the DTX450K. The drums and cymbals have a more natural feel to them. You can also position the drum kit more comfortably. It offers 415 drum sounds, which is much more than what you get in the DTX450K. The DTX452K is a good alternative to the Yamaha DTX 450K, as it offers more sounds, although it does cost slightly more.
Summing It Up
The Yamaha DTX450K drum kit is a solid entry-level option. It has the features that you need to get started playing the electronic drums. You get access to helpful iOS applications to improve your skills.
The sound quality is not as good as some high-end electronic drum kits, but the training functions that come with this drum set make it an attractive choice for beginners. It’s also suitable for those who need a portable, affordable practice set.